Training with rocks is one of the coolest, and primal badass ways to train/workout to increase stamina, size and overall body strength. More people should take up using one of the oldest methods for getting fitter and stronger.
People have been training with stones for strength and competition dating back to Ancient Greece and other ancient civilizations past 1100 BC…that means a very very long time before the reign of balanced weights and machines.
In cultures such as the Japanese, Basque, Nordic, Welsh, and Scottish, lifting stones were used competitively to see who was the strongest, to test manhood, entertainment, to delegate who gets what job etc.
Today stones are still used competitively in strongman competitions and still done locally in those cultures.
More and more people are taking up stone lifting for working out but it still isn’t as popular as traditional methods of working out.
So why would you want to incorporate heavy ass stone lifting into your routine? Good question, you’re going to love the reasons why.
11 Stone Cold Benefits
- You’ll be a badass for doing this type of training, how many people you know carry and pick up stones for fun and strength? Exactly nobody, or a just a few people. Of course, this shouldn’t be the main reason you do it. However, you got to be mentally tough to be doing this type of training.
- Carrying an odd irregular jagged shaped rock that an weight from 30lbs/13kg to 200lbs/90kg can hurt and you have to be mentally tough to endure uncomfortableness of carrying it whether it’s in the crook of your arms, your sides, on your shoulders, biceps etc. So by embracing the uncomfortableness of doing this, not only will it make you stronger but your mind and the ability to embrace the uncomfortable will help you in other areas of your life.
- As a trainer, I preach the importance of having straight back the majority of the time in the gym but in a real-life scenario, especially a danger to a life-threatening scenario. You won’t have the time to have a perfectly straight back(perfectly straight back is overrated). If you’re picking somebody up in a fight to slam them, breaking a tackle, pushing or carrying something heavy etc. Stone carries give you a super strong back, and prepare you for being able to generate power from a rounded back to produce real-life power.
- You’ll get a super powerful core, which should be highly more sought after in the fitness world. Then, in my opinion, after you got a great core, then you should shoot for a having a 6,8 or a 10 pack if you care about it that much for it. Nonetheless, remember, the stronger your core is the more you’ll be able to do on your big lifts, carrying exercises or kind of exercises that involve your core and you’ll have less back problems.
- Speaking of getting a super powerful core, you’ll also never worry about your posterior chain holding you back such as your lower back, glutes, hamstring, and calves because they will be immensely strong from consistently carrying heavy rocks.
- Your arms and shoulders will blow up with size and strength from the tension of helping hold, carrying and pulling the weight. We can’t forget about grip, it will also improve immensely.
- There’s just something primal and manly about lifting a heavy ass stone. Hell, that’s what got me into doing it in the first place. You don’t get the same feeling from lifting a balanced weight in an air-conditioned environment with demotivational music.
- It opens your mind to different ways of training and getting stronger instead of just focusing on one method with tunnel vision. You realize also that strength can be developed in multiple ways because it’s a skill that can be cultivated. You’ll also get your innovational brain going to find different ways to make stone workouts more challenging that will push your mind and body.
- You don’t need a gym membership to workout with stones. You just got to find a place where you can do them, or get some rocks from an area and bring back to your house or apartment complex to workout with.
- It gets you outside and exposes you to different elements, and different terrains that will toughen you up, especially if you live somewhere with 4 seasons or workout with stones in different locations. Because when you train inside a building, you’re in a controlled environment that can keep you comfortable.
- The strength you gain from consistently working out with odd irregular heavy shaped rocks is transferable over to working out with kettlebells, dumbbells, barbells, and machines. You’ll be amazed at how much it will improve or help you get new personal records. Because working out with odd objects works the muscles and tendons of the body so differently than manipulating balanced weights.
Lifting stones are a great way to physically and mentally enhance yourself. Not only they do they challenge, but they open your mind to a different way of training, to generate a different type of strength and they get you out in nature. I could go on and on about how much they do for you.
I’ll be doing a second continuation of where you can find stones to lift and how to workout with them. So I hope I’ve gotten your curiosity in taking up stone lifting.
Remembering this is what you get out of it
- Strong back, core, posterior chain, arms, legs, grip and shoulders
- Strong posterior chain
- Ability to handle uncomfortablility
- Mental and physical toughness
- Open to other training methods, ideas, and philosophies.
- You save money in the long run
- Your outside
Thanks for reading and until next time
Music ft: Halo Theme (Choir Mix) by Imran Ghani
– Larentay Walker
33 total views, 4 views today